The Rivanna Solid Waste Authority (RSWA) was formed in 1990 as a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia to handle solid waste disposal and recycling activities in the City of Charlottesville and the County of Albemarle. In recent years, the primary activity performed by RSWA for both the City and County is the groundwater remediation and post-closure activities for the Ivy Landfill. Current solid waste programs for citizens provided by RSWA are limited to these specifically authorized by an executed agreement with either the City, County, or both.
RSWA presently operates three facilities in the Charlottesville / Albemarle area: the McIntire Road Recycling Center,
Utilization Center and the Paper Sort Facility.
The Rivanna Solid Waste Authority is governed by a seven member Board of Directors which consists of the City Manager and the Director of Public Works for the City of Charlottesville, Charlottesville City Councilor, the County Executive and the Director of Engineering and Public Works for Albemarle County, Albemarle County Supervisor, and a Chairperson selected jointly by the City Council and County Board of Supervisors.
To e-mail the Board members collectively with comments or suggestions, click here.
Current Board of Directors:
• Michael Gaffney, Chair; Appointed
• Thomas Foley, Vice-Chair; County Executive of Albemarle County; Ex-Officio
• Maurice Jones, Secretary-Treasurer; City Manager of the City of Charlottesville; Ex-Officio
• Kenneth C. Boyd, Albemarle County Supervisor; Ex-Offico
• Kathleen Galvin, City of Charlottesville; Ex-Officio
• Mark B. Graham, P.E., Director of Community Development of Albemarle County; Ex-Officio
• Judith Mueller, Director of Public Works of the City of Charlottesville; Ex-Officio
The Board is supported by a Citizens Advisory Committee consisting of 3
representatives from the City, 3 from the County, 2 from the University of
Virginia, and a Chairperson selected by the City Council and Board of
Current RSWA Citizens Advisory Committee:
• Lyle Solla-Yates, City of Charlottesville Representative
• Vacant, Joint City of Charlottesville / Albemarle County Representative, Chairman
• Vacant, City of Charlottesville Representative
• Elizabeth Williams, University of Virginia Representative
• Christopher Schooley, University of Virginia Foundation Representative
• David Hondula, City of Charlottesville Representative
• David Ward, Albemarle County Representative
• Vacant, Albemarle County Representative
• Steven Janes, P.E., Albemarle County Representative
Meet the Rivanna Solid Waste Authority's Team:
• Thomas L. Frederick, Jr. P.E. - Executive Director
• Lonnie E. Wood - Director of Finance and Administration
• Mark Brownlee - Manager, Ivy Site Operations
• David Bamford - Assistant Manager, Ivy Site Operations