Fall Household Hazardous Waste Days Announced!
(click on images to view flyers - pdf format)
Hazardous materials exist in
our homes in many seemingly innocent forms such as paints and stains, cleansers and polishes, motor oil and antifreeze, and pesticides and herbicides,
to name only a few. Typically, these products have the words "Danger", "Warning" or "Caution" on the label. These words are signals that you should be
careful when using and disposing of these products. After all, we have only one environment to protect from these potentially dangerous chemicals.
Dangerous reactions are possible when hazardous materials are combined, so never mix used motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline, paint, paint thinner,
pesticides, solvents or other potentially hazardous liquids together. RSWA urges everyone to protect the environment and never pour these items onto
the ground or down a storm sewer . just bring them to RSWA for proper waste management. Just think, one quart of oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of
water! Hazardous material should also be segregated from your daily solid waste stream and stored safely pending proper disposal.
RSWA operates a limited household hazardous waste collection site at the Ivy location. Residents of the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County can
bring the following items to the RSWA Ivy site, Tuesday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:00 pm, and Saturday between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.
Please note: RSWA does not accept batteries, paint, or fluorescent tubes on a regular basis.
Each year the RSWA holds a larger scale household hazardous waste collection day. On this day, RSWA accepts additional hazardous substances
and ensures that they are properly categorized and directed to a permitted offsite hazardous substance management location. The materials accepted on
this day include:
- Household cleaners
- Floor and furniture polish
- Paint-related products and solvents
- Motor oil
- Fluorescent tubes
accepted at any time include:
- Radioactive waste
- Medical waste
To express interest in a change in service:
- Come to Rivanna Solid Waste Authority Board meetings, located at 695 Moores Creek Lane, Charlottesville, VA. in the Authority’s Administration Building, 2nd floor conference room. They are at 2:00 p.m. They are generally held the 4th Tuesday of every month. You can also send email to email@example.com or write to Executive Director, 695 Moores Creek Ln., Charlottesville, VA 22902.
- Come to County Board of Supervisors meetings. The regularly scheduled meetings of the BOS are held the first two Wednesdays of the month, in Board
Room 241, Second Floor, County Office Building. Mail a letter to the Chairperson of the BOS at 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, VA 22902; Email
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 296-5843.
- Come to the Charlottesville City Council meetings. Council meetings are held the first and third Mondays each month at 7:00 p.m. in City Hall on the
Downtown Mall at 7th and East Main Street. Email email@example.com, mail a letter to the Mayor,
Box 911, City Hall, Charlottesville, VA 22902, or call 970-3113.
home | about us | recycling | waste disposal | jobs | procurements
closed landfill care | faq's | meetings | financials | links | disclaimer | site map
|Copyright © 2010|
Rivanna Solid Waste Authority
All Rights Reserved.